Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Final Game

   As we went into our final game, we knew we needed to win. Unfortunately, the game ended in a tie, which meant that we would not be advancing into the higher league. The mood after the game was somber to say the least. Many girls were crying and visibly upset, others were angry and pounded their fists into the ground. I was in shock and didn't quite want to believe that all our hard work seemed to be for nothing. The second half of the season started off so promising that I believed we would make it into the top league with no trouble at all. We did have our fair share of problems throughout the season. Of the 20 girls that had started the season, only 10 remained. Many had torn their ACL's or had some other sort of injury. Also, we played multiple games with one substitute because girls had become sick during the week. I can't even imagine what would have happened if Marissa and I hadn't come over when we did.
   I know everyone felt upset after the game, but I think Marissa and I felt even worse because we felt responsible. They brought us to Sweden to accomplish a goal, and we failed to meet it. We had one job to do and we couldn't get it done. I know the girls didn't blame us, and some even tried to say it was a good thing that they didn't move up, but there was still an overwhelming feeling that we had let everyone down.
   Since our team didn't move up into the higher league, that means there is no chance for us to return. There is no money to bring in Americans because we won't be getting more sponsors. It was so hard to say goodbye to our new friends and coaches. After 3 months I really felt like we were starting to form connections with the team and it would have been fun to come back and play for a whole season.
  As for now, I am not really sure what I will do next.  I have moved back to Tampa and am working part-time for my mom at a catering company. There would still be an opportunity for me to return to Sweden, just not with Kungsbacka. The Swedish league also doesnt start until March, so there's a chance I wouldn't know if I was returning until a week before I would fly out. Right now I am just enjoying being in warm sunny Florida for the winter. It's been a while since I've experienced clear blue skies and 70 degree temperatures in November.
  Even if I don't return to Sweden to play soccer, I definitely plan on returning to visit. Sweden was filled with some of the nicest and welcoming people that it would be hard for me not to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment